Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

6 years ago

2005

I took my son for his first day of kindergarten. And cried like a fool. That night, my water broke. And the next day at 12:17 am, I had my beautiful baby girl.

That was also the night of Hurricane Katrina. I remember watching the coverage, during labor and then for the next 3 days that I was in the hospital (emergency C Section). What a scary, horrible time for the people in that area. But all I could think about at that time, and every anniversary since, is the women that were having babies that night, at the same time as I was, under completely different circumstances. In the middle of a hurricane. How many gave birth at home? Unexpectedly? I remember reading somewhere that the high pressure causes women to go into labor. How many were in hospitals? But with no power? Or no doctors for that matter? How many babies were born premature that didn't have an available NICU?

I look at my daughter every year on her birthday and think of those other mothers. I hope they are also celebrating 6th birthdays with their children. If not for my location, I could have very easily been one of those moms.

0 comments: